Links must meet several criteria in order to be accessible.
- All links must contain either text or an image with alt text.
- Link text needs to be uniquely identifiable within the page.
- The link text should be descriptive of its target location.
- The link text should not be too long.
- When possible and appropriate, don’t make the target URL the actual hyperlink text.
- Do not remove the underline from links except in cases like menus.
- Links should notify the user if they are going to open in a new window.