The key feature of accessible text is its ease of reading on all devices.
Best Practices for Accessible Text
- All text can be highlighted, copied, and pasted.
- Actual text is used instead of images of text.
- Text does not blink or move.
- Text color contrasts strongly with its background.
- Fonts are simple and easy to read. Sans serif fonts (e.g., Arial, Calibri, Verdana) are good choices.
- The number of fonts is limited.
- Avoid Small font sizes.
- Font variations (e.g., bold, italics, ALL CAPITAL LETTERS) are limited.
- Font appearance (e.g., color, shape, variation, placement) is not used to convey meaning.